DARE TO BE CREATIVE!

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Scrappity-do-dah

I started a Scrappity-do-dah quilt this weekend.  I made 20 of these squares.  Now I only have 420 to go.  The pattern is from a McCall's America Makes Fast Quilts but I'm telling you this isn't a fast quilt.  The little blocks are quite labor intensive.  Cut the block, cut block on the diagonal, cut the center strip, sew together, and them trim to 5".   However, the quilt in the magazine is beautiful.  This is to be a gift for someone special.  I'm hoping to complete 20 blocks a week (maybe more).  As long as I finish in time to quilt before Christmas.

I am using fabrics from my stash (one of my frugal goals for the year).  I did go to JoAnn's today and use my Christmas gift card.  After 15 years my rotary cutter died.  My cutting mat had also become very brittle.   A big "thank you" to my DH for such a thoughtful gift.  I'll enjoy the new rotary cutter and mat for many years.

My goal for this week is to finally finish the border on my Civil War Chronicles quilt.  I would like to get it to the quilter this spring.   I'm only a year late in finishing the 2011 block of the month quilt.  I really haven't enjoyed this block of the month but I know the finished quilt will be awesome.

5 comments:

PeggyR said...

That will be a good size quilt!

Sue McPeak said...

What fun colors and prints. Yep, when it's touted as one thing you can figure it to be another...fast versus time consuming. Small blocks seem to be that way, and because it takes so many...well...time will tell.

Yes, a new mat and cutter is a gift that lasts and lasts and keeps on giving.

craftyles said...

It will be wonderful when it's finished. Yea-new rotary cutter and met. You certainly make use of both!

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

It's going to be gorgeous. I love the pretty bright colors you're using and it's always good to use up what you already have.

Susan said...

I love this idea. It seems so simple, but I never thought of it!