DARE TO BE CREATIVE!

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Keeping it on the "Q. T." Quilting Tip # 2

I've been out of the country for a week but now I'm back home and ready to continue my Q. T. Quilting Tips.  ( You can find Tip # 1 here).

 

Q. T. # 2 "Use the correct tools." 


Use the tools you have in your “toolbox” or your studio.   There are many tools designed just for quilters. 
 
As you know I’m working on a quilt for Quiltmaker’s Scrap Squad (click on link to see my bio).   I can’t share the completed quilt but I am able to tell you that it consists of 60 degree triangles.  Below are the tools I selected to cut my quilt pieces.
 
Paper templates for the triangles were supplied by the magazine.  However, I decided to check my supply of rulers.  I personally don't think there is such a thing as having "too many rulers".  The perfect ruler can make a quilter's life much easier.  I found three 60 degree triangle rulers in my studio.  I ended up using only two of the triangle rulers.  These rulers are sometimes called Pyramid Rulers.  I also used my rotary cutter, cutting mat, and 24" ruler.
 
These are the two specialty rulers I used for my project. 
 
These rulers are designed to be used with strips of fabric.  This quilt pattern called for 4 1/2" and 8 3/8" strips. 
 
The ruler above is the larger ruler used to cut the 8 3/8" triangles.

 
I used the ruler above to cut the 4 1/2" triangles.  These rulers also have makings for half triangles.  Above you can see how I cut the half triangles.
 
 
Above is a half triangle from the larger ruler.
 
 
I love the fact that of both these rulers remove that little "ear" at the top of triangle points. 
 
 
 The larger ruler had all three points removed but the smaller ruler just had the top point removed.  I had to reposition the ruler two additional times to remove those points.  It is worth the time it takes to do this.  Sewing the seams is much easier with the points removed plus I don't have to snip those corners later. 

 
Here are both sizes of triangles ready for stitching.
 
Now I'm ready to start sewing. 
 
Thanks for joining me on my Scrap Squad Journey.


 
 
 
 

5 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

Now that is just brilliant! I have learned something from you already, and that would make the sewing much easier!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

You're not speaking my language at all. ha! Precision is not my forte. I fudge things when I can to make it work. I'd have to make a scrap quilt where corners and size don't matter. :) Have a great day. Tammy

Pam said...

Tammy I love your attitude. One of my grand daughters shares your free spirit. The other is very precise. It has been interesting teaching them to sew!

Pam said...

So glad I could give you an idea. I just love specialty rulers.

Sue McPeak said...

First off...CONGRATS on being a Quilt Squad selection. So excited for you, and I'll be keeping up with your year of quilting on The Quiltmaker Website.

Such good Tips you are sharing, and even though I'm not quilting at the moment, the reminders and staying up to date on tools and techniques are being stored away for later.

Again, Congratulations...you are perfect for the Quiltmaker Squad.
Sue at CollectInTexas Gal