DARE TO BE CREATIVE!

Monday, March 7, 2011

Wildflowers


Today I experimented with an embroidery design package called Wildflowers from Smith Street Designs. A number of years ago, I saw the quilt, loved it, and purchased the design packet.  Then I got home and looked at the instructions and decided I wasn't ready to tackle this project.  It used fusible applique during the embroidery process.  I was not  keen on the idea and the pattern has been sitting in a box.  I got it out last evening and went to the Smith Street website.  They mentioned that they no longer use the fused applique and suggested that you can use the stitch and trim method with their old designs.  So the disk came out of the box and the designs were loaded into my sewing machine.  I made these two quilt squares today.  I've decided to make a table runner instead of a quilt.  These two were experiments.  The top using tear away stabilizer and the other using an iron-on stabilizer.  I didn't add the name to the bottom one.  The fabrics are hand dyed fabrics that I purchased when I friend closed her quilt shop a few years ago.  There are a total of 6 flowers in the design set.

3 comments:

T's Daily Treasures said...

Hey Pam, I love the bookmarks you made. And these flower quilt squares would even look great framed or as pillows. I bought a fusible quilt pattern book but haven't tried anything from it yet. Since I don't sew, I thought I might be able to have a go at cutting and ironing something in place. :) Have a great day! Tammy PS we had rain for about 45 seconds today -- its definitely been a dry season which is why the plants on my balcony are doing so poorly :/

PeggyR said...

I love the flowers!

Jacalyn @ rmebathproducts.com said...

So, so pretty. I don't sew and I don't embroider but I sure know pretty! I love the idea of framing them.

Hugs,
Jacalyn